Our tax lawyers work closely with our other firm practice groups to structure transactions to achieve the most favorable tax results. We accomplish this by understanding the relevant tax issues and economic factors and providing creative solutions to help our clients achieve their business and personal goals. In addition to domestic clients, we advise U.S. companies and individuals doing business abroad and foreign individuals and corporations doing business in the U.S. in a practical, business and goal oriented manner. We have particular expertise in structuring domestic and offshore investment vehicles and advising our investment fund clients with respect to the tax aspects of their activities. Department head David Schulder
brings over 30 years of experience to this area.
- All aspects of Federal, State and City personal and business tax issues for U.S. based and foreign taxpayers
- Formation, operation and liquidation of partnerships and limited liability companies and sale of interests in partnerships and limited liability companies
- Corporate tax matters, including mergers, acquisitions and dispositions of corporations
- Executive compensation, deferred compensation arrangements, incentive and nonstatutory stock option plans, phantom stock plans
- Real estate and venture capital syndications, tax-free exchanges of like-kind property, acquisitions and dispositions of real property
- Opinion letters and ruling requests to the Internal Revenue Service
- International tax issues re: controlled foreign corporations, passive foreign investment companies, FIRPTA, tax treaties, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, cross-border joint ventures.