Paul D Sarkozi
Recognized by Super Lawyers in the
New York Times as one of the
Top 100 Lawyers in the New York Metro area, Paul Sarkozi is a savvy litigator and negotiator who focuses on results for his clients. Equally adept in federal and state court, Paul has nonetheless developed a particularly strong reputation in New York's Commercial Division, the branch of the NY Court system that handles complex business disputes. He was selected by NY Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman to serve on his Task Force on Commercial Litigation in the 21st Century and serves on the Chief Judge's Commercial Division Advisory Council as Co-Chair of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee. Paul also serves as Chair of the State Bar's Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, which regularly addresses critical issue affecting business litigation in both NY State and Federal courts.
A versatile advocate, Paul is called on by business entities and senior executives in a broad range of industries to counsel them on the best ways to prosecute, defend and resolve their disputes. He has represented hedge funds, private equity firms, REITs and developers, global media and public relations firms, a leading athletic clothing designer, international banking organizations, international pharmaceutical and food companies, a national accounting firm and even a Saudi prince.
Finally, Paul is an experienced, smart and effective negotiator. His knowledge and skill in this area have been recognized by Columbia Law School, where he has been appointed a Lecturer-in-Law to teach a Negotiation seminar. Paul also serves on the roster of mediators for the Commercial Division in New York County.
- Nike, Inc. et al v. Reebok International Ltd.,1:12-cv-02275 (S.D.N.Y.). Represented Nike in lawsuit asserting claims for violations of the Lanham Act (unfair competition), misappropriation of rights of publicity, and tortious interference with business relations, resulting in a TRO and a Preliminary Injunction barring the sale of Reebok's Tebow-NY JETS merchandise.
- Successfully defended seller of commercial real estate against claims of breach of contract, fraudulent inducement and fraudulent concealment.
- Successfully defended media company against claims of breach of contract and unjust enrichment brought by a satellite company arising out of an asset purchase agreement.
- Confirmed arbitration award obtained by corporation against former CEO, who asserted panel had acted in manifest disregard of the law.
- Successfully defended technology company against claims of breach of software development agreement and breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing.
- Successfully mediated several business disputes that were being litigated in the Commercial Division, NY County.
- Successfully represented media company in declaratory judgment action seeking declaration of rights in connection with the exercise of warrants following an acquisition of the company in which the warrants were held.
- Successfully represented a French satellite company in an ICC arbitration against a US satellite company arising out of a failed joint venture.
- Successfully represented a major defense contractor in a variety of commercial disputes.
- Conducted internal investigation into sales and marketing practices at pharmaceutical company.
- Bench-Bar Conversations: Deborah Karalunas| Reprint with permission from NY Commercial Litigation Insider | September 24, 2014
- Bench-Bar Conversations with Justice Elizabeth Emerson | Reprint with permission from NY Commercial Litigation Insider | June 27, 2014
- Bench-Bar Conversations with Queens County Justice Orin Kitzes | Reprint with permission from NY Commercial Litigation Insider | May 5, 2014
- Bench-Bar Conversations with Justice Barbara Kapnick | Reprint with permission from NY Commercial Litigation Insider | March 4, 2014
- Bench-Bar Conversation with NY County Commercial Division Justice O. Peter Sherwood | Reprinted with permission from NY Commercial Litigation Insider | December 19, 2013
- Bench-Bar Conversation with Alan D. Scheinkman | Reprint with permission from NY Commercial Litigation Insider | November 18, 2013
- Bench-Bar Conversation with Justice Carolyn E. Demarest | Reprint with permission from NY Commercial Litigation Insider | September 20, 2013
- Private Equity Funds and Lenders: Equitable Doctrines May Override Contractual Protections When Senior Lenders Overreach | Business Litigation Bulletin | September 2013
- Bench-Bar Conversations with Nassau Commercial Justice Timothy Driscoll | Reprint with permission from NY Commercial Litigation Insider | August 6, 2013
- Justice Friedman 'No Stranger to the Bench' | Reprint with permission from NY Commercial Litigation Insider | July 10, 2013
- THSH Private Equity Roundtable Summary | July 2013
- Putting the business back in business litigation | InsideCounsel | April 25, 2013
- Insider trading—let the tippee beware | InsideCounsel | April 11, 2013
- SEC actions time-barred after five years? Not quite | InsideCounsel | March 28, 2013
- Litigation: Preliminary agreements may not be as "preliminary" as you expect | InsideCounsel | March 14, 2013
- Litigation: Can LLC members effectively waive their fiduciary duties? | InsideCounsel | February 14, 2013
- E-Discovery: Managing the duty to preserve voicemail | InsideCounsel | January 29, 2013
- E-discovery: Preservation of social media, what every company needs to know | InsideCounsel | January 18, 2013
- E-discovery: New Sedona Conference developments continue to alter the e-discovery landscape | InsideCounsel | January 1, 2013
- Effects of automated technologies on electric document preservation and review obligation | InsideCounsel | December 18 2012
- The Rule 45 Subpoena: Instituting an ESI Action Plan | InsideCounsel | December 4, 2012
- A request to preserve when you're a nonparty—what's a GC to do? | InsideCounsel | November 20, 2012
- A New Stress For Distressed Debt: New York Court Questions Whether An Investor Can Sue | Business Litigation Bulletin | October 2012
- Chapter 103 commercial Real Estate Litigation 4C Robert L. Haig | Commercial Litigation in New York Courts, 3d ed. | 2010
- The Commercial Division Law Report | Commercial Division of the New York State Supreme Court
- Internal Investigations: An Overview of the Nuts and Bolts and Key Considerations in Conducting Effective Investigations | Internal Investigations: Legal, Ethical & Strategic Issues 2006 | Practising Law Institute | August 2006
- A Seat at the Table | GC New York | New York Law Journal | May 2006
- Commercial Division Says "Dilatory Tactics" Won't Be Tolerated | New York Law Journal | January 9, 2015
- 34 Tannenbaum Helpern attorneys have been selected to the 2014 New York Metro Super Lawyers list, including two commercial litigators in the Top 100 Super Lawyers list | October 8, 2014
- Tannenbaum Helpern's Litigator Paul D. Sarkozi Named Chair of State Bar's Commercial and Federal Litigation Section | July 9, 2014
- Q&A: Paul D. Sarkozi | Commercial Litigation Insider | July 7, 2014
- Mediation Program in Commercial Division Set to Launch (subscribers only) | New York Law Journal | June 27, 2014
- Pre-Conference Disclosure Proposal Finds Inspiration in ADR | Commercial Litigation Insider | April 14, 2014
- NY Biz Attys Asked To Immediately Talk Settlement Discovery | Law360 | April 10, 2014
- Will Litigators Embrace Proposed Pilot Mandatory Mediation Program? |Commercial Litigation Insider |December 12, 2013
- Super Partners: Super Lawyers selects commercial litigators Vincent Syracuse and Paul Sarkozi among the Top 100 Lawyers in New York Metro | October 7, 2013
- 29 Tannenbaum Helpern attorneys have been selected to the 2013 New York Metro Super Lawyers list, including two attorneys in the Top 100 Super Lawyers list | September 23, 2013
- Paul Sarkozi is appointed to Chief Judge's Commercial Division Advisory Council | April 1, 2013
- Super Lawyers names Paul D. Sarkozi as one the Top 100 lawyers in New York Metro 2012 | November 15, 2012
- Tannenbaum Helpern's Paul Sarkozi selected for key NY State business litigation role | March 5, 2012
Paul Sarkozi has or will serve as a speaker, moderator, event chair or panelist for the following events:
- Ethics 101 for In-House Counsel | Meetup.com – New York In-House Counsel | November 12, 2014
- Ethics 101 for In-House Counsel | THSH CLE Program | October 21, 2014
- What's New in Ethics and Civility | THSH CLE Program | December 3, 2013
- International Financial Litigation Network (IFLN) Conference | September 24, 2013 – September 27, 2013
- Negotiation Workshop | Columbia Law School | Spring 2009-Spring 2013
- Issues in Commercial Litigation | Joint Seminar for Appellate Division Justices of the First and Second Departments | April 2012
- Discovery is Different: Deposing and Disclosing in Criminal and Civil Cases in NYS Courts | NY County Lawyers' Association | April 2012
- What's New in Ethics and Civility for 2012 | CLE program | March 15, 2012
- Commercial and Federal Litigation Section Spring Meeting | New York State Bar Association | May 1-3, 2009
- A Young Lawyer's Guide to Preparation: Lessons in Advocacy | NYSBA Young Lawyers Section Annual Meeting | January 2009
- Revisiting Arbitration | Pace Law School Continuing Legal Education | November 2008
- Piercing the Corporate Veil: History, Theory and Practice in New York | NYSBA Continuing Legal Education | October 2008
- State and Federal Electronic Discovery | Pace Law School Continuing Legal Education | June 2008
- Conducting Effective Depositions | Spring Meeting of Commercial & Federal Litigation Section of the New York State Bar Association | May 2008
- Ethics in Settlement Negotiations and Mediation | CLE program at the Association of the Bar of the City of New York | 2000-2005
Areas of Expertise:
- Complex commercial litigation
- Private equity and hedge fund litigation
- Legal malpractice litigation
- International business litigation and arbitration
- Employment law matters
- Governmental enforcement actions
- Internal investigations
- Media litigation
- Yale University, 1987, B.A., summa cum laude
- Harvard Law School, 1991, J.D., cum laude
- Paul Weiss Rifkind Wharton & Garrison LLP (associate), 1991-1994;
- Squadron Ellenoff Plesent & Sheinfeld LLP (associate and partner), 1994-2002;
- Hogan & Hartson LLP (partner), 2002-2009.
- New York State Bar Association (Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, Chair, 2014; Chair-elect, 2013-2014; Vice Chair, 2012-2013; Treasurer, 2009-2012 ; Executive Committee, 2006-2012 ; Chair, Committee on the Commercial Division, 2007-2013 ; Co-Chair, Commercial Division Law Report Committee, 2006-2009)
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York (Secretary, Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution, 1997-2000)
- Mediator, Commercial Division, Supreme Court, New York County, 1997- .
- New York State
- United States District Courts for the Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- SuperLawyers Business Litigation: 2009-2014
- SuperLawyers: Top 100 Lawyers in New York Metro 2012-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating