Eric S Schoenfeld
Eric Schoenfeld is co-chair of Tannenbaum Helpern's Real Estate, Construction
and Environmental Law practice. Eric has extensive experience in representing
clients in the acquisition, financing, development, leasing and sale of
a wide range of commercial real estate assets, including shopping centers,
office and apartment buildings, telecom, warehouse and industrial facilities,
and equity interests and mortgage loans with respect thereto, located
both in New York City and across the country.
His experience includes the regular representation of national and regional
developers, private equity funds and property owners in connection with
real estate investments across the country, including structuring and
negotiating sophisticated joint venture arrangements.
His practice has also focused on the representation of institutional owners
of office, telecom and shopping centers in connection with leasing transactions,
and corporations and other organizations in their leasing of office, retail
and industrial space for business operations and related facility management
In addition, Eric's experience includes the representation of institutional
lenders and borrowers in connection with acquisition, permanent and construction
financing, mezzanine financing and other debt structures.
- Represented prominent New York City developer in connection with acquisition
of Long Island College Hospital campus in Brooklyn, New York, and construction
loan financing for the development of multiple campus parcels.
- Represented nationally known developer in connection with acquisition,
development and financing of a residential condominium and retail mixed-use
project in Williamsburg, New York.
- Represented several real estate private equity funds in connection with
multiple joint venture real estate investments, including acquisition
of office buildings, in Indiana and Massachusetts, acquisition and development
of multi-family housing in Florida and Georgia, acquisition of a regional
mall in Buffalo, New York, acquisition of hotels in North Carolina, Utah
and California, and acquisition of a portfolio of distressed mortgage loans.
- Represented nationally known shopping center owner in connection with a
portfolio sale of eighteen shopping centers in the northeast United States
to a publicly owned REIT, on a tax deferred basis.
- Represented private investor group in connection with preferred equity
investment in a distressed residential and commercial condominium project
in the Chelsea area of Manhattan, including restructuring of the construction
loan financing and the mezzanine loan.
- Represented seller of majority ownership in waterfront development site
in Williamsburg, New York, pursuant to a complex joint venture agreement
providing option to seller to maintain an investment in the development
on a tax-deferred basis.
- Represented residential developer in connection with acquisition, and construction
and mezzanine financing, of a residential and hotel development site in
downtown Manhattan, New York, and sale of a portion of the development
site to a hotel developer.
- Represented national shopping center developer in connection with a securitized
mortgage loan refinancing of six shopping centers in Puerto Rico.
- Represented national real estate investment fund in connection with the
acquisition and financing, and subsequent sale, of "Class A"
office buildings in Miami, Florida and Hollywood, Florida, in separate
- Represented international manufacturer in connection with acquisition,
financing and development of industrial site in California.
- Represented seller in connection with the portfolio sale of six industrial
facilities/warehouses in Southeastern, United States to an institutional
real estate fund.
- Represented seller of a hotel in downtown Manhattan, New York to a national
public REIT on a tax deferred basis.
- Represented institutional owner of Manhattan office building in connection
with more than twelve seperate lease transactions.
- Represented publicly owned, international, retail tenant in connection
with more than twenty seperate lease transactions throughout the United States.
Tannenbaum Helpern recognized as 2016 Top 40 Leading Real Estate Law Firm | September 8, 2016
Emmet Marvin, Tannenbaum Helpern Guide $90M NYC Loan | Law360 | June 14, 2016
27 Tannenbaum Helpern attorneys selected to the 2015 New York Metro Super
Lawyers list, including three in the Top 100 Super Lawyers List | September 17, 2015
Tannenbaum Helpern's client's purchase of Long Island College Hospital
ranked among the top 3 real estate development deals in 2014 by The Real Deal| January 13, 2015
34 Tannenbaum Helpern attorneys have been selected to the 2014 New York
Metro Super Lawyers list, including two commercial litigators in the Top
100 Super Lawyers list | October 8, 2014
29 Tannenbaum Helpern attorneys have been selected to the 2013 New York
Metro Super Lawyers list, including two attorneys in the Top 100 Super
Lawyers list | September 23, 2013
Eric Schoenfeld has or will serve as a speaker, moderator, event chair
or panelist for the following events:
- Office and retail leasing: Exit and Expansion strategies | THSH CLE program
| April 26, 2012
- International Council of Shopping Centers Legal Conference
Areas of Focus:
- Commercial real estate investment and development
- Commercial leasing
- Joint ventures
- Real estate lending and finance
- Distressed real estate transactions
University of Michigan
, 1987, B.B.A.
Honors: High Distinctions
- New York University School of Law, 1990, J.D.
Honors: American Jurisprudence Award in Land Finance and Transfer
- Hofheimer Gartlir & Gross, 1992-1994
- Richards & O'Neill (merged into Bingham McCutchen LLP), 1990-1992
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, 1989
- New York State Bar Association Real Property Law Section
- International Council of Shopping Centers