James Rieger has a broad corporate and securities law practice. James represents
public and private companies, hedge funds, merchant banks, private equity
funds, exchange traded funds, venture capital funds, investment banks,
underwriters, and private investors in many types of transactions, including
public and private debt and equity offerings, credit facilities, mergers,
acquisitions, fund formation, activist investments, restructurings and
divestitures of assets and divisions. James counsels companies and funds
on their filings under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and their participation
in tender offers, proxy contests, and other hostile takeover actions.
James also handles general corporate matters, including employment agreements,
contracts, benefit plans, and joint venture agreements.
A representative sample of James' private equity-related experience follows:
- Representation of real estate private equity fund in fund formation.
- Representation of timber fund in fund formation and seeding.
- Representation of a solar fund in fund formation and seeding.
- Representation of an investment adviser in micro-lending fund with backing
from multi-lateral institutions.
- Representation of Latin-American focused private equity fund in fund formation.
- Representation of one of the sponsors of private equity fund management
business in formation and ongoing matters.
- Representation of one of the equity sponsors in the $14 billion club acquisition
of a savings bank from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
- Representation of equity sponsor in the acquisition and recapitalization
of an airline.
- Representation of equity sponsor in $400 million sale of helmet manufacturer
to another private equity fund.
- Representation of equity participant in $150 million buyout of publicly
traded sporting goods manufacturer.
- Representation of temporary staffing business in $70 million sale to private
- Representation of management in connection with recapitalization of private
equity fund controlled temporary staffing business.
- Representation of defense contractor in $10 million recapitalization of
private equity fund controlled entity.
- Representation of aircraft component manufacturer in $20 million recapitalization
by private equity fund.
- Representation of extended warranty business in $20 million sale to private
- Representation of Latin-American focused private equity fund in $25 million
long-term credit facility from quasi-governmental agency.
- Representation of medical products equipment supplier in $50 million sale
to private equity fund.
- Representation of broker dealer in $5 million sale to private equity fund.
- Representation of consulting business in $10 million sale to private equity fund.
- Representation of seed investor in $35 million investment in new private
equity fund and fund manager.
- Representation of private equity fund in $25 million purchase of stationary
and gift items manufacturer.
- Representation of private equity fund in Section 363 acquisition of assets
- Representation of private equity fund in recapitalization of security and
alarm company and later provision of debtor-in-possession financing.
Areas of Focus:
- Corporate and Securities
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Venture Capital
- Financial Services and Capital Markets
- Business Reorganizations
- Private Fund Formation
- Brooklyn Law School , 1991, JD
- State University of New York at Albany , 1988, BA
Honors: Cum Laude
- Over 12 years as counsel and associated with the law firms Dechert LLP
and Swidler Berlin Shereff Friedman, LLP